February 10, 2007

Weblog Entry 2.10.07

BEFORE/AFTER
I get this question a lot ... and I have blogged about it before, but thought I would go over it again for those that are curious and those that missed it the first time.
What do you do in your post process work? What's the difference between a picture that comes straight out of your camera and one that you have done work on?
I do all of my own post-process work. I guess it's because I have 'control' issues and don't trust anyone else to work on my images. Plus, I know the look I am going for when I take the photos and I can't expect someone else to 'see' that. I truly believe that you need to start with a correctly exposed image to begin with (or, in the case of photojournalism, as close as you can get given the situation and timing). The image below has good levels and is what an image looks straight out of my camera. As you can see, it has a flat, gray look to it.

The image below is AFTER I have done a very simple workflow to it. As you can see, there is A LOT more 'pop' to it now. The colors are much more saturated, the skin is softened and the edges are darkened a bit to add more focus to the face. Remember that your eyes are naturally drawn to the brightest part of the image. This is why lighting is SO important in photography. It 'tells' your eye where to look and what the most important part of the image is. The shadows are darkened a bit to add more depth and give it a three dimensional look.

Below is a black and white of the same image. I have had people ask me "Does changing an image to black and white really require more than hitting the 'desaturation' button in Photoshop?" My answer is "It depends on what you want your black and white image to look like."

Of course I have an opinion on this ... I know, SHOCKER.

I like for almost all of my black and whites to show ... well, just that. Some blacks and some whites - not just shades of grey. For those 'desat' people, below is what you will get if you desaturate an image that comes straight out of camera (SOOC).

I have a lot of people who love my black and whites. This is why. Below is an image that I have changed using my own methods. You will see that there are blacks and whites in the image. There is a lot more contrast and 'pop'. Deep shadows and nice depth.

Now keep in mind that these images are all done for a 'glamour' effect.


And now I'll quit blabbing about all of this so that the folks who come here 'just to see some cool photos' aren't too bored. :)

I do hope that this gives you a better idea of what exactly I do on the 'back-end'.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! It's interesting to see the pre and post process work that you do.

February 11, 2007 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you showed these examples. I think a lot of people don't realize all the work you do after the session or event is over. You are so talented and this just shows how good and how detailed you are!

February 23, 2007 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home