February 14, 2006

Weblog Entry 2.28

I am having a dilemma. I REALLY want a new digital camera but I am having trouble justifying the purchase. Especially when I get shots like the ones posted here with my current set up. I have heard nothing short of fantastic things about the new camera. I just keep thinking that if I am getting images this good with my camera, just IMAGINE what I would get with the new and improved model.
One thing about photography is that you have to constantly question yourself about whether or not you are on the infamous 'search for the magic bullet'. At least that is what I call it. You have to make sure that you aren't just getting something because buying that ONE thing will make you SO much better. When I find myself saying "if I only had ___, I would be able to get great images", then I know that I am on 'the hunt'. This situation is never good. I guess I can say...at least I recognize it. I have said it a lot, as I am sure others have as well. The truth is, there is only one thing that can make you a good photographer/artist.
You.
Here is a scenario to help explain the magic bullet theory:
When you look at images in a book and you think 'Man! I would love to be able to take photographs like that!' Then you read in the book that the photographer used a Nikon D2x and they used a 85mm f1.8 fixed lens. And, IF, in this scenario, you are shooting with a Nikon D2x but your images NEVER look that good and you find yourself saying 'I bet if I had that same lens, I could take pictures like that.' So, you buy it. And you use it. And you find that your images don't look anything like the image you saw in the book.
Then, to you, that lens was a 'magic bullet'.
It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
I am probably going to end up talking through my whole decision process here on my blog. So, I'll just apologize now.
Here goes...
So, if I play this out ... I have talked myself out of a ton of equipment based on this theory. In this particular case, I know I can get good images with my camera. I know how to use it. It just isn't as responsive as I would like it to be. I don't expect to get BETTER images with it. Just a better ratio of good to bad in an average shooting session.
I KNOW what the magic bullet is and I believe that I am not in search of it. There, I've said it. My expectations for this camera are not so high that I expect IT to take the photos for me while I sit on the sidelines and watch. I simply want a camera that is more of an extension of my hand. It needs to be as responsive as I am. I need my camera to be there and functioning as it should so that I am not spending all of my energy on the technical aspect of the photograph, but rather, on the creative aspect

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home